Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
Government’s 5 Point Plan to Bring in Ridesharing
The new regulatory model aligns with the Government’s five point plan which included:
- Consultation. Territorians have been consulted through an online survey to help design a simple and effective set of rules for all ridesharing to operate in the Territory.
- Steering Committee. A Steering Committee was created with representatives from the Commercial Passenger Vehicle industry, the Taxi Council of the NT, consumers, business groups, the Transport Workers’ Union and economic experts to advise Government.
- Safety and Fair Working Conditions. A fair go for passengers, drivers and operators to ensure safety and fair working conditions for all.
Open and Fair Regulation. Regulation guidelines will be directed by the sharing economy principles being:
- primary property is yours to share;
- new services must support good wages and working conditions;
- everyone must pay their fair share of tax;
- proper protection for public safety;
- access for all; and
- playing by the rules.
- Implementation and Legislation in 2017. Legislation will be introduced to Parliament in 2017 to allow ridesharing transport services to operate in the Northern Territory.
Last updated: 28 November 2017