Spatial data and information management
The Northern Territory Land Information System (NTLIS) is focused on corporate spatial data and information, which encompasses the spatial, geographic and attribute information required by more than one government agency or industry organisation to carry out core business functions.
Maximum benefits to the community from the collection, management and use of corporate spatial information will derive from a cooperative effort rather than by individual agencies and organisations simply focusing on their own specific business objectives. The NTLIS is founded on the principle of synergy.
Spatial data management encompasses the capture, organisation, management, integration and distribution of information about all of the following:
- natural resources
- the environment
- land use
- socio-economic factors, where such information can be related to a geographical location.
This applies to the land mass, aquatic, atmospheric or sub-surface areas.
The role of spatial data and information is rapidly extending beyond its traditional applications in mapping, land development and resource management to such areas as emergency services, marketing and health and community services delivery.
The challenge for NTLIS is to ensure high quality spatial data is available in a usable form to support both traditional and emerging applications in government, industry, academia and the general community.
Background information about NTLIS
The NTLIS is a dynamic system that includes:
- knowledge and expertise of staff
- spatial data and information
- information technology
NTLIS is a cooperative arrangement between NT Government agencies designed to deliver better outcomes for government, the community and industry from the use of spatial data resources.
NTLIS delivers sustainable spatial data and information management, as well as land information management.
This coordinated approach to management and use of spatial data and information has been practiced in the Northern Territory since 1980 when the first corporate Land Information System was developed to provide a wide range of integrated information services.
Read the NTLIS policies, standards and guidelines.
The NTLIS collaboration forum is a place to find information, news and events relating to spatial data and services in the Northern Territory.
The forum is relevant to people inside and outside of the Northern Territory Government who are:
- GIS (Geographic Information Systems) professionals
- users of online GIS systems including ILIS Maps, NT Atlas, Google Earth
- developers of applications that include mapping or geocoding functionalities.
Go to the NTLIS collaboration forum.
Many of the objectives outlined in the strategic directions for the Northern Territory Land Information Systems (NTLIS) are close to being achieved.
Looking forward to the next five years and the continued evolution of available data capture, technology and industry options, a revised statement of strategic direction is under development.
The Northern Territory has the spatial information necessary to support planning, sustainable economic development and the social and environmental interests of all sections of the community.
- Define the spatial information required to meet the priority interests of government, industry and community groups.
- Develop a Northern Territory spatial data infrastructure (NTSDI) to create and manage essential spatial information resources.
- Agencies that are custodians of Corporate spatial data implement the NTLIS Architectures and actively contribute to the NTSDI.
Corporate spatial information and its products are available on-line to anyone who needs to access and use them.
- Develop a spatial data "clearinghouse" or secure access channel, through which anyone can find, view, licence and obtain NT Government spatial data for legitimate uses.
- Resolve issues that may inhibit access to and use of spatial data, including pricing, charging, copyright, intellectual property and liability.
Corporate spatial information and its products are used by government, industry and the community to make informed decisions related to economic and social development.
- Increase the level of awareness in government, industry and the community of the value of spatial information and its importance in decision making.
- Develop and implement decision support products related to key government and community issues.
The Northern Territory has a strong and innovative spatial information industry able to deliver a comprehensive range of products and services to government, industry and the general community.
- Establish partnership relationships with NT industry designed to support development of innovative, leading edge spatial applications with commercial potential.
- Support industry through outsourcing, wherever possible, of data capture, spatial application services, data brokering and value-adding.
Call NTLIS on 08 8995 5302 for information about:
- NTLIS projects
- inter-agency coordination
- strategic advice on spatial data management
- spatial application development and GIS.
Integrated Land Information System (ILIS) support
Geographic Information System (GIS) support
Information about spatial databases, metadata, ANZLIC and online services.
Last updated: 29 September 2020
Share this page:URL copied!