Transport and road safety
The Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics (DIPL) deliver a range of services across the Northern Territory (NT) including:
- regulating public transport and commercial passenger vehicles
- developing road safety policy, education and awareness programs
- marine safety
- vehicle registration and driver licensing.
With regard to the road network, the department is empowered under the Control of Roads Act 1953 on behalf of the NT Government as the owner of the road network for the care and management of the network, and is the competent authority under the Traffic Act 1987.
The NT road network comprises the national highways, arterial and local roads, and bridges in the Territory, except for those owned by local government, community associations and some pastoralists.
Campaign and initiatives
The following are campaigns that aims to raise awareness:
Read about the department's projects.
For information about services provided by DIPL, go to the NT Government website where you can:
- access driving and transport registration
- access bus timetables and other public transportation
- apply for a permit to work within a road reserve, road events, roadside memorials
- report a road fault, traffic lights, cycle paths.
Last updated: 30 October 2020
Share this page: