Amendments to the Public Transport (Passenger Safety) Act 2008
To create a safer environment for bus drivers and passengers, amendments have been made to the Public Transport (Passenger Safety) Act 2008 to address anti-social behaviour:
- on a bus or at a bus stop
- at or in the vicinity of a bus interchange.
What these changes mean
As part of these changes:
- transit officers can now:
- issue banning notices to people who engage in offensive, threatening, violent or disorderly conduct
- arrest or deal with someone for a range of offences including assault and property damage eg. throwing rocks at buses
- security officers can now:
- demand a person to supply their name, date of birth and address
- order a person to get off a bus or to stay away from a bus stop or bus interchange.
Read more about banning notices on the Northern Territory Government website.
Last updated: 16 September 2022
Share this page:URL copied!