Alice Springs CBD revitalisation
The Alice Springs CBD is being invigorated to create a safer and more vibrant CBD for locals and visitors to enjoy.
Works will include:
- lighting upgrades
- the River Activation Space
- cooling initiative shade structures and landscaping.
The River Activation Space is located on the corner of Parsons Street and Leichhardt Terrace, and construction will deliver a large shaded space with natural surveillance, shading and seating.
It will be located near public amenities such as toilets, emergency phones and water fountains.
The River Activation Space will include:
- shading whilst providing a view of the Lhere Mparntwe (the Todd River) and surrounding trees
- ample seating to accommodate a number of different groups
- cooling through the use of water misters and separate water bubblers for people and for their dogs
- USB charging point and free Wi-Fi during the day; and will be well lit after dark.
Cooling initiatives, shade structures and landscaping will see shade structures placed strategically around the Alice Springs CBD to assist in developing cooler pathways for pedestrians to walk and providing shade for people waiting for taxis.
Shaded walkways will provide comfort to pedestrians as they walk through the CBD, including from carparks to shops. Trees are also being be planted to assist with cooling and shading.
Additional lights and CCTV cameras are being installed to light up Billy Goat Hill, Trevor Reid Park, Stott Terrace Bridge, Leichhardt Terrace and Todd St (CCTV only).
Works are scheduled to commence in September.
These projects have been developed in collaboration with the Alice Springs Town Council.
Construction is expected to be complete in 2022.
Below is an image concept of the River Activation Space.
For more information, go the Revitalising Alice website.
Receive project updates
Sign up to receive regular updates and information on the Alice Springs CBD Revitalisation project in your preferred format.
Last updated: 14 September 2021
Share this page:URL copied!