Ecologically sustainable buildings policy
The Department of Infrastructure Planning and Logistics (DIPL) will provide leadership in delivering buildings that are ecologically sustainable.
We will work with other agencies to continuously improve the triple bottom line performance of Northern Territory (NT) Government buildings including:
- whole of life costs
- environmental performance
- the delivery of social equity outcomes.
The implementation of the ecologically sustainable buildings policy will ensure NT Government buildings are designed, constructed and maintained in a manner that will:
- reduce NT Government agency operating costs
- reduce the environmental footprint for NT Government built assets
- assist industry develop capacity to deliver sustainable buildings
- support the NT Government's environmental sustainability commitments.
To demonstrate our commitment to delivering ecologically sustainable buildings, DIPL will:
- partner with NT Government agencies, to establish sustainability performance targets for NT Government buildings that are practical and affordable
- mandate implementation of National Construction Code Section J minimum energy efficiency requirements for projects over a set threshold; and simplified minimum sustainability design standards for all other new building works
- select projects to showcase leading edge design for sustainability, above and beyond NCC Section J
- establish asset maintenance standards that target improving energy and water efficiency without compromising safety or asset functionality
- monitor, report on, and continuously improve the sustainability performance of NT Government buildings, including collaborating with other organisations to identify sustainability initiatives that are appropriate for the Territory
- actively promote the benefits of building sustainability within the NT Government, industry and the public.
Standard and guidelines
To read the DIPL sustainability minimum design standard and guidelines, refer to specifications for buildings.
For more information, contact:
Strategic Asset Management - ESD
Infrastructure, Investment and Contracts
Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics
email@example.com (Attn: ESD) or
08 8999 2506
Last updated: 28 April 2021
Share this page:URL copied!