Building design standards
When preparing designs for buildings, you should refer to the resources provided on this page.
Below are technical drawings documentation manuals:
- NTG technical drawings - Part 1 - Requirements for technical records management
- NTG technical drawings - Part 2 - Civil CADD manual
- NTG technical drawings - Part 3 - Documentation manual for buildings .
Minimum design standards and supplementary documents
The following are design standards that set out the minimum requirements for the design and construction of buildings.
- NT public cyclone shelters structural requirements
- IL1 (Cyclonic) Buildings or structures structural requirements
- IL2 (Cyclonic) Buildings or structures structural requirements
- IL3 (Cyclonic) Buildings or structures structural requirements
- IL4 (Cyclonic) Buildings or structures structural requirements
Download the zip folder containing guidance documents and inspections checklists:
You can get the Northern Territory Fire Alarm System Transmission (NTFAST) fire contractors guide book from the NT Police, Fire and Emergency Services website. The guide book can be found in the fact sheet section under NTFAST.
NTFAST welcome input for updating the guide.
For more information, contact David Williams by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- major building works such as schools and hospitals
- smaller works such as housing and office fitouts.
These buildings master specifications are prepared and maintained by the Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics, for use on Northern Territory Government infrastructure projects and are made available as a service to the public.
Users will need to evaluate the material for their suitability for use on their particular projects.
While care has been taken to ensure that information is true and correct at the time of publication, changes in circumstances after the time of publication may impact on the accuracy of this information.
The Northern Territory of Australia:
- gives no warranty or assurance, and makes no representation as to the accuracy of any information or advice contained, or that it is suitable for your intended use
- accepts no liability for any losses or damages, including incidental or consequential damages, resulting from the use of the material.
By clicking on any of the links to documents below, you are agreeing to abide by the terms of the above disclaimer.
Access to NATSPEC documents
Major Building Works and Small Building Works use text based on NATSPEC, the national building specification, produced by Construction Information Systems Ltd of which the department is a stakeholder.
NATSPEC documents are copyright and can only be used by registered subscribers.
Major Building Works and Small Building Works are password protected and can only be made available to people involved in DIPL-managed projects or subscribers.
If you're a stakeholder in a DIPL-managed project or a NATSPEC subscriber and want to access these documents, email email@example.com for the password.
Specifications and supplementary documents
The following are specifications and supplementary documents for building constructions.
To access the master specification, contact the DIPL project manager.
The following are supplementary documents:
- hold and witness points for major building works
hold and witness points for major building works
- project checklist for major building works
project checklist for major building works .
The following are the updates overview:
From 1 February 2021, you must refer to the standard specification for small building works v20.0 .
The following are previous editions of the standard specification:
- standard specification for small building works 2018
- standard specification for small building works 2017
The following are new supplementary documents:
Last updated: 29 July 2021
Share this page:URL copied!