Coolalinga Road safety upgrades
Final design announced for staged road upgrades at Coolalinga.
The Northern Territory Government has released a new design for the long-term traffic management solution for Coolalinga.
The design includes changes to the Stuart Highway and was informed by several rounds of community consultation, as well as technical investigations.
Download the concept design - printable version .
This is a long term solution, which addresses road safety, improves accessibility and allows for future growth in the area.
The project will:
- improve road safety for all road users, including pedestrians and cyclists by incorporating signalised pedestrian crossings at popular crossing points, and inclusion of footpaths
- improve accessibility to and from both sides of the Highway by creating two new intersections which facilitate safe signalised access in all directions
- support future planning and growth by ensuring that future roads and developments can easily connect to the road network.
Features of the final design
- Two new signalised intersections on the Stuart Highway providing direct access to and from the shopping precincts situated on the northern and southern sides.
- Extension of service roads on both sides of the Stuart Highway.
- Extension of existing road behind Coolalinga Central to the new signalised intersection.
- Extension of Henning Road through to Virginia Road.
- New road link between the Stuart Highway and Henning Road.
- Reduced posted speed limit to 60 km/h on the Stuart Highway through this precinct.
Design and construction timelines
- Construction is scheduled to commence by 2022. Works will include construction of two new signalised intersections, improving safety for pedestrians crossing the national highway.
- Design tender award scheduled for March 2021.
- Completion of detailed design scheduled for September 2021.
- Construction tender scheduled for release in October 2021.
This final concept has evolved from the feedback garnered from stakeholders during two previous rounds of consultation.
It also includes feedback from several conversations with:
- affected landowners
- local business
- key representative groups.
Submit your feedback
A further opportunity is now available for the community to provide comment on the graphic version of the final concept design.
This is a significant road safety project for the area and we want to ensure the community is provided an additional opportunity for comment.
You can provide feedback on the concept design from 5 March until 5 April 2021.
You can also talk to the project team at community information stalls to be held at:
- Coolalinga Central on Friday 5 and Saturday 6 March
- Coolalinga Shopping Centre on Friday 12 and Saturday 13 March between 10am and 12pm.
Last updated: 26 February 2021
Share this page: