Carpentaria Highway major upgrade
The Northern Territory (NT) Government will deliver a major upgrade of sections of the Carpentaria Highway.
It is a key access road to the Beetaloo Sub-Basin, Borroloola and an important service route for the pastoral, tourism, agricultural and mining sectors.
The road is also a key route for supplies and transport for Glencore’s McArthur River Mine.
This is a $150 million project, jointly funded over four years ($120 million from the Australian Government, $30 million from the NT Government).
The upgrades to the Carpentaria Highway will complement multiple strategic projects currently underway that aim to bring the Territory’s vision to become a world-class gas production, manufacturing and services hub to reality.
The project will involve:
- other flood immunity improvements
Sealing of the road will be undertaken to a dual-lane standard, meaning one sealed lane in each direction, offering substantial safety benefits for all road users.
The project is expected to result in the following benefits:
- improved efficiency and network reliability
- improved freight productivity and access to freight gateways
- improved road safety for all road users, in line with Towards Zero Road Safety Action Plan
- improved connectivity between people with jobs and services, and goods with markets
- improved flood immunity, thereby reducing annual road closures
- improved access to health and social services for remote and Indigenous communities
- Aboriginal employment and business supplier opportunities.
Planning works are underway with the following investigations:
- engineering survey
- geotechnical pavement investigation
- gravel and construction material investigations
- water bores and associated works
- concept design preliminary assessment.
The overall project will be delivered as a single design and construct lump sum contract, with separable portions: Portion 1 is from Chainage 0km to 50km and Portion 2 is from Chainage 50km to 140km.
Public tender is expected in November 2021 on Tenders Online.
The project will contribute to the delivery of Infrastructure Australia’s 2021 high priority initiative: Enabling-infrastructure for developing the Beetaloo Sub-Basin.
An information session was held on Wednesday 8 September 2021, to provide:
- an update on the Carpentaria Highway Upgrade project
- a briefing on the delivery model and
- to seek industry feedback before finalising tender documents.
To view the presentation that was delivered at the information session, download the Carpentaria Highway major upgrade presentation .
Last updated: 14 September 2021
Share this page:URL copied!