Berrimah Road duplication
The Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics is planning for the future duplication of Berrimah Road, between the Stuart Highway and Tiger Brennan Drive.
Berrimah Road is a vital link in the Northern Territory’s logistics and supply chain. It connects the Stuart Highway to Darwin Port, the nation’s ‘northern gateway’ for Australasian trade. Traffic modelling has shown that Berrimah Road needs to be duplicated in the future to cater for growth.
Subject to funding, construction of the Berrimah Road duplication project may occur in the medium term over the next five to ten years.
Stage 1 consultation
In 2018, the department engaged engineering consultant Tonkin to develop an initial concept plan to duplicate Berrimah Road to manage future traffic needs. Tonkin partnered with True North Strategic Communication to consult with the community and discuss the proposed design.
Following this initial consultation, the concept plan was revised to include feedback provided by the community, local businesses, landowners and key stakeholders during the first stage of consultation.
Revised concept plan
The new concept plan:
- retains the new traffic lights at Pruen Road (south) and College Road that allows traffic to circulate and maintain safety for pedestrians
- maintains existing access for traffic entering and exiting Moo Street, Dennis Court and Marlow Road
- introduces a physical median strip to safely separate north and south traffic with provisions for U-turns to facilitate access to local businesses and the school
- maintains the service road off Moo Street
- caters for turning paths of heavy vehicles, to use the new road safely (except for U-turns)
- reduces the amount of land that needs to be acquired to accommodate a second lane
- caters for various utilities, street lighting and shared paths within the proposed corridor.
Stage 2 consultation
In October/November 2021 the project team, which includes Tonkin, the Department and True North Strategic Communication, consulted with local businesses and key stakeholders about the revised concept plan.
Consultation was open for four-weeks and closed on 22 November 2021.
For more information, read the Berrimah Road duplication stage 2 fact sheet .
Last updated: 23 November 2021
Share this page:URL copied!