Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
Barneson Boulevard and Tiger Brennan Drive final duplication stage
Barneson Boulevard will provide a new entry point to Darwin’s CBD. This Project will also complete the duplication of Tiger Brennan Drive from Dinah Beach Road to Bennett Street. This is a landmark project that will help unlock the potential of the city’s eastern end.
The Northern Territory Government will deliver a progressive design for this project that provides for the future traffic needs of Darwin’s city centre and takes into account the needs of commuters, businesses and residents.
We want your input to help shape this project to create a better connected city, reduce peak period traffic congestion and encourage development that will help revitalise the city fringes.
Barneson Boulevard is identified in the Darwin City Centre Master Plan and follows a corridor that was established for this purpose 20 years ago.
The new arterial link will connect Tiger Brennan Drive directly with Cavenagh Street to more evenly distribute traffic throughout the CBD streets. The Boulevard will have an inner city urban street feel and support economic development.
The project will:
- reduce peak period congestion by dispersing traffic entering and exiting the CBD from Tiger Brennan Drive
- provide a third and main entry and exit point for the CBD
- cater to pedestrians and cyclists with wide footpaths and segregated cycle ways
- reenergise the CBD through its visual appeal, incorporating landscaping and roadside amenities to support activities such as alfresco dining.
The Boulevard will contain three new signalised intersections:
- Barneson Boulevard/ Cavenagh Street
- Barneson Boulevard/ McMinn Street
- Barneson Boulevard/ Cross Road
Signalised intersections have been identified as the safest and most effective traffic management approach to these intersections.
It is expected that construction on this project will commence mid-2017.
How you can be involved
You can visit an information stand in the Smith Street Mall on the following days between 10:30am and 2:30pm:
Wednesday 8 February
Thursday 16 February
Tuesday 21 February
You can attend a community workshop:
When: Wednesday 15 February, 5:30pm to 7pm
Where: Travelodge Mirambeena, 64 Cavenagh St, Darwin City