Some of our information has moved to NT.GOV.AU
Barneson Boulevard and Tiger Brennan Drive final duplication stage
Barneson Boulevard will provide a new entry point to Darwin’s CBD. This project will also complete the duplication of Tiger Brennan Drive from Dinah Beach Road to Mcminn Street. This is a landmark project that will help unlock the potential of the city’s eastern end.
The new road will connect Tiger Brennan Drive directly with Cavenagh Street to more evenly distribute traffic throughout the CBD streets. The Boulevard will have a tropical, inner city urban feel and support economic development in Darwin CBD.
Outcomes of community consultation
During the three-month public consultation period earlier this year feedback was gathered from people who live, work and do business in the city, those who visit the city and people who feel passionate about our city.
A number of issues and possible solutions were discussed during community consultation, which influenced the final design. See the highlights of the consultation results by topic:
- Frog Hollow Park
- Frog Hollow Centre for the Arts
- Opportunities for Art
- Changes to bus bays on Cavenagh Street
Download a full copy of the Barneson Boulevard consultation report . The report has been edited to protect privacy and for commercial in confidence reasons.
The project will:
- reduce peak period congestion by dispersing traffic entering and exiting the CBD from Tiger Brennan Drive
- provide a new entry and exit point for the CBD
- cater to pedestrians and cyclists with wide footpaths and segregated cycle ways
- reenergise the CBD through its visual appeal, incorporating landscaping and roadside amenities to support activities such as alfresco dining.
It is expected that construction on this project will commence late 2017, weather permitting.