Coolalinga Road safety upgrades
Final design announced for staged road upgrades at Coolalinga.
The Northern Territory Government has finalised the design for the long-term traffic management solution for Coolalinga.
The design includes changes to the Stuart Highway and was informed by several rounds of community consultation, as well as technical investigations. This is a long term solution, which addresses road safety, improves accessibility and allows for future growth in the area.
The project will:
- Improve road safety for all road users, including pedestrians and cyclists by incorporating signalised pedestrian crossings at popular crossing points, and inclusion of footpaths.
- Improve accessibility to and from both sides of the Highway by creating two new intersections which facilitate safe signalised access in all directions.
- Support future planning and growth by ensuring that future roads and developments can easily connect to the road network.
Some land acquisition will be required to facilitate works. All directly affected landowners have been consulted.
The project will now progress to detailed design.
- Two new signalised intersections on the Stuart Highway providing direct access to and from the shopping precincts situated on the northern and southern sides.
- Extension of service roads on both sides of the Stuart Highway.
- Extension of existing road behind Coolalinga Central to the new signalised intersection.
- Extension of Henning Road through to Virginia Road.
- New road link between the Stuart Highway and Henning Road.
- Reduced posted speed limit to 60 km/h on the Stuart Highway through this precinct.
Construction is scheduled to commence in mid-2021 and will be staged, with priority afforded to works on the Stuart Highway. This will include construction of two new signalised intersections, improving safety for pedestrians crossing the national highway.
- Advertise tender for detailed design: Late 2020
- Completion of detailed design: Early 2021
- Advertise tender for Stage 1 works: Mid 2021
- Advertise tender for Stage 2 works: mid 2022.
This final concept has evolved from the feedback garnered from stakeholders during two previous rounds of consultation. It also includes feedback from several conversations with:
- affected landowners
- local business
- key representative groups.
If you have any questions about the final concept, please contact the project team on the contact details below.
Last updated: 01 December 2020
Share this page: