Stuart Highway Duplication
- Road works update - Fact sheet - January 2020
- Road works update - Fact sheet - November 2019
- Road upgrade - Fact sheet - February 2019
Works to upgrade the Stuart Highway north of Alice Springs from the Motor Vehicle Registry to the Herbert Heritage Drive intersection are in progress.
This project is funded by the Australian Government under the Road Safety and Fatigue Management Initiatives. This upgrade will address safety issues, increase capacity, improve flood immunity and maintain an efficient transport corridor.
Construction is being undertaken between 6:30am and 6:00pm Monday to Sunday. Within these hours there will be restrictions to contractor activities during peak traffic times to ensure that the impacts to road users are minimised, however there will be some disruptions to traffic with lane closures and temporary speed restrictions. Please adhere to any traffic management in place.
The section of Stuart Highway between Herbert Heritage Drive and Woods Terrace will remain single carriageway at this stage. Planning is underway for future upgrades to this section of the highway.
This upgrade includes construction of:
- two travel lanes either direction with a central median (2-lane dual carriageway)
- dedicated turning lanes at various intersections to improve separation between turning and straight moving traffic
- upgrades to existing intersections (no traffic lights)
- off-road cycle and pedestrian path
- upgrades to existing street lighting to improve safety
- kerbing and guttering, and an underground storm water drainage system in a number of locations
- construction of dedicated parking bays
- landscaping using native arid plants
- improved access to the information bay.
Last updated: 28 January 2020