Smith and Bennett Street walkways
This project is now complete.
The Territory Government in collaboration with the Australian Government and the City of Darwin is delivering two new covered walkways around the Smith and Bennett Streets intersection, next to the Visitor Information Centre as part of a joint City Deals project.
The structures will:
- improve pedestrian connectivity through the city
- provide infrastructure that helps create a cooler, greener CBD.
The structures elevate existing pedestrian shading and improve links from the city to the Waterfront and State and Civil Square precinct.
A contract was awarded to local contractor, GT Builders, to design and construct the new structures that will improve shelter for tourists and visitors to the CBD, as well as locals and city workers.
The shelters feature laser cut aluminium screens, stringy-bark timber lining, new paving, and at night will be illuminated with LED theme lighting.
The Smith Street shade structure was completed mid-2019.
Work on the Bennett Street structure started in May 2020 and will be complete by the end of July.
This infrastructure project complements other greening and shading initiatives being delivered across the CBD - which includes the:
- Cavenagh Street heat mitigation trial works
- State Square underground car park
- greening and shading elements being delivered by City of Darwin as part of their Cavenagh and Bennett Street project.
Below are previous announcements about the project:
- Smith and Bennett walkways construction commencement - Factsheet - May 2019
- Bennett Street shade structure start of works - Stakeholder notice - May 2020 .
Project Director: Lyle Hebb
Phone: 08 8946 5218
Last updated: 01 June 2020
Share this page:URL copied!