John Stokes Square redevelopment
Read the stakeholder update - November 2021
Read the stakeholder update - August 2021 .
John Stokes Square in Nightcliff is under redevelopment to improve the quality of social housing, and to provide new amenities and public space.
The redevelopment includes:
- a 24-hour Nightcliff Police Station
- 78 new social housing units specifically designed for seniors and people living with disabilities
- a pedestrian friendly link between the Nightcliff Village and Nightcliff Shopping Centre
- new public open space and the expansion of local amenities.
The new Nightcliff Police Station will provide improved proximity and visibility to assist police in keeping the community safe and help reduce antisocial behaviour in the area.
The new Nightcliff Police Station includes:
- a 24-hour police station
- muster rooms to cater for general-duties officers
- interview rooms
- car park
- break-out spaces.
Construction is currently underway and is expected to be finished in 2021.
Concept image of the new Nightcliff Police Station.
The redevelopment will provide 78 new social housing units specifically designed for seniors and people living with disabilities comprising:
- three new, purpose-built, four-story housing accommodation blocks
- 66 one bedroom and 12 two bedroom units
- space for non-government organisation on the ground floor and internal parking with storage spaces
- communal breakout areas within each level in each unit block
- communal gardens.
Construction is currently underway and is expected to be finished in mid 2022.
Concept image of the new social housing units.
A number of upgrades to improve public amenity and create pedestrian friendly spaces will be delivered as part of the redevelopment.
Some of the upgrades include:
- traffic upgrades on Progress Drive to create a safe, pedestrian friendly link between the Nightcliff Village and the Nightcliff Shopping Centre via the redevelopment
- landscaping and lighting
- car parking reconfiguration.
Refer to the above map for more details.
Receive project updates
Communication with stakeholders, including land owners, businesses and residents, will be ongoing throughout the design process and during construction.
Sign up to receive regular updates and information on the John Stokes Square redevelopment project in your preferred format.
You can also follow us on DIPL's Facebook.
- Stakeholder update - June 2021
- Community information - JSSR - Planned traffic changes - March 2021
- Stakeholder Notice - Progress Drive bus stop relocation - March 2021
- Nightcliff Police Station Scheduled for Early 2021 Completion - Media release - 18 September 2020
- 100 Extra Territory Jobs and Election Promise Met: John Stokes Square Residential Precinct Construction to Begin - Media release - 29 June 2020
- John Stokes Square redevelopment update - Fact sheet - May 2020
- Creating jobs and safe, vibrant communities: John Stokes 24-hour police station construction underway - Media release - April 2020
- John Stokes Square redevelopment update - Fact sheet - April 2020
- John Stokes Square redevelopment update - Fact sheet - January 2020
- Creating jobs and safer communities: New 24-hour police station at John Stokes - Media release - August 2019
- John Stokes Square redevelopment demolition commencement - Fact sheet - May 2019
- Safer communities and creating jobs: Demolition tender award for John Stokes - Media release - May 2019
- John Stokes Square redevelopment - Fact sheet - March 2019
- Creating jobs: John Stokes redevelopment: A step closer - Media release - March 2019
Last updated: 19 November 2021
Share this page:URL copied!