John Stokes Square redevelopment
- John Stokes Square redevelopment update - Fact sheet - May 2020
- Creating jobs and safe, vibrant communities: John Stokes 24-hour police station construction underway - Media release - April 2020
- John Stokes Square redevelopment update - Fact sheet - April 2020
- John Stokes Square redevelopment update - Fact sheet - January 2020
- Creating jobs and safer communities: New 24-hour police station at John Stokes - Media release - August 2019
- John Stokes Square redevelopment demolition commencement - Fact sheet - May 2019
- Safer communities and creating jobs: Demolition tender award for John Stokes - Media release - May 2019
- John Stokes Square redevelopment - Fact sheet - March 2019
- Creating jobs: John Stokes redevelopment: A step closer - Media release - March 2019
The John Stokes Square housing complex in Nightcliff is under redevelopment to improve the quality of housing, and allow for new amenities and open public spaces. The redevelopment will see new homes specifically designed for seniors and people living with disability.
The project includes:
- a 24-hour Police Station
- specifically designed public housing including for seniors and people living with disabilities
- a pedestrian-friendly link between the Nightcliff Village and Nightcliff Shopping Centre
- open space and the expansion of local services.
Pedestrian safety upgrade
As part of the John Stokes Square Redevelopment, traffic upgrades will be in place on Progress Drive to create a safe, pedestrian – friendly link between the Nightcliff Shops and John Stokes Square. Detailed design is currently underway and will incorporate community feedback. Further information will be made available.
New public housing
The John Stokes Redevelopment will provide 75 new public housing units for seniors and people living with disabilities. During construction, current residents will be placed in alternative public housing. For further information, visit the Department of Local Government, Housing and Community Development website.
Nightcliff Police Station
Local contractor, Halikos Group was awarded the contract to design and construct the Nightcliff Police Station.
Construction is currently underway and is expected to be finished early 2021.
The relocation of the Nightcliff Police Station will provide proximity and visibility to help reduce antisocial behaviour in the area and assist police in keeping the community safe.
Community consultation for the redevelopment project is ongoing. Stakeholders and surrounding residents are informed regularly via letterbox drops. If you would like to be added to the distribution list, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A dedicated 1800 hotline has been established and one-on-one meetings with local business owners are ongoing. Community stands were held at the Nightcliff Markets and Nightcliff Woolworths before project commencement. Visit this page to stay informed on future community stand sessions.
Receive project updates
Communication with stakeholders, including land owners, businesses and residents, will be ongoing throughout the design process and during construction.
Sign up to receive regular updates and information on the John Stokes Square redevelopment project in your preferred format.
You can also follow us on DIPL's Facebook.
Last updated: 22 May 2020
Share this page: