John Stokes Square redevelopment
- John Stokes Square redevelopment update - Fact sheet - January 2020
- Creating jobs and safer communities: New 24 Hour Police Station at John Stokes - Media release - August 2019
- John Stokes Square redevelopment demolition commencement - Fact sheet - May 2019
- Safer communities and creating jobs: Demolition tender award for John Stokes - Media release - May 2019
- John Stokes Square redevelopment - Fact sheet - March 2019
- Creating jobs: John Stokes redevelopment: A step closer - Media release - March 2019
The John Stokes Square housing complex in Nightcliff is under redevelopment to improve the quality of housing, allow for new amenities and open spaces, and reduce anti-social behaviour.
The project includes:
- a 24-hour Police Station
- specifically designed public housing including for seniors and people living with disabilities
- a pedestrian-friendly link between the Nightcliff Village and Nightcliff Shopping Centre
- open space and the expansion of local services.
Pedestrian safety upgrade
As part of the John Stokes Square Redevelopment, traffic upgrades will be in place on Progress Drive to create a safe, pedestrian – friendly link between the Nightcliff Shops and John Stokes Square. Detailed design is currently underway and will incorporate community feedback. Further information will be made available.
New public housing
The John Stokes Redevelopment will provide 75 new public housing units for seniors and people living with disabilities. During construction, current residents will be placed in alternative public housing. For further information, please visit the Department of Local Government, Housing and Community Development website.
Nightcliff Police Station
A contract to design the concept for the Nightcliff Police Station was awarded to Jackman Gooden Architects and construction is scheduled for late-2019.
The relocation of the Nightcliff Police Station will provide proximity and visibility to help reduce antisocial behaviour in the area and assist police in keeping the community safe.
Community consultation for the redevelopment project is ongoing. Stakeholders and surrounding residents are informed regularly via letterbox drops. If you would like to be added to the distribution list, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
A dedicated 1800 hotline has been established and one-on-one meetings with local business owners are ongoing. Community stands were held at the Nightcliff Markets and Nightcliff Woolworths before project commencement. Visit this page to stay informed on future community stand sessions.
Last updated: 28 January 2020