Cullen Bay precinct parking improvement

Cullen Bay is a popular dining, boating, tourism, business and residential precinct. The area attracts many motorists who need to park their vehicles for short and long periods.

The Northern Territory Government is developing a strategy for car parking at the Cullen Bay precinct to look at how motorists use the available parking and to address current and future parking demand.

The Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics has engaged civil infrastructure engineering specialist, GHD, to lead the Cullen Bay Parking Management Strategy.

This study will help to identify the immediate needs of users of the Cullen Bay precinct and determine both short and longer term solutions to meet the precinct community needs.

The Northern Territory Government and GHD will work closely with the community, City of Darwin, Cullen Bay Marina Management Corporation and Sea Link to draft the strategy.

Community consultation

Community feedback is encouraged to assist developing the strategy for current and future car parking at the Cullen Bay precinct.

To gain a deeper understanding of the parking challenges, during the six-week consultation period, the project team:

  • conducted face-to-face meetings with local Cullen Bay residents and businesses and other key stakeholders
  • travelled on the Mandorah ferry to speak with passengers who use the parking area
  • conducted intercept surveys with motorists who visit Cullen Bay during a two-hour period over two days (between 5 pm and 7 pm)
  • conducted online survey through between 20 July 2017 and 31 August 2017.


Casey Lovelock
Stakeholder Engagement Manager

Department of Infrastructure Planning and Logistics
Transport Planning Division
PO Box 61
Palmerston NT 0801

Phone: 08 8924 7118

Last updated: 12 February 2020

Share this page:

Was this page useful?

Describe your experience

More feedback options

To provide comments or suggestions about the NT.GOV.AU website, complete our feedback form.

For all other feedback or enquiries, you must contact the relevant government agency.