Review of signage and activities in NT Government road reserves

The Northern Territory Government is reviewing how signage and activities in road reserves are managed to ensure the safety of all road users.

The Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics (DIPL) has responsibility for road reserves alongside Northern Territory Government managed roads. This includes highways such as the Stuart, Arnhem, Barkly and Victoria Highways, as well as major arterial and regional roads.

The road reserve is the area of land between the edge of the asphalt and the boundary of private or business properties.

Signage and commercial activities in the road reserve needs to be appropriately regulated to ensure it does not unduly distract motorists or pedestrians, or become a hazard during a cyclone event.

The department is working on draft guidelines for the management of signage and activities in road reserves which clearly outlines approved areas around the Territory.

Consultation has now commenced with key stakeholders are being asked to provide their views on the draft guidelines.

Information stalls will be at the following locations –

  • Coolalinga Central Shopping Centre – Tuesday 27 June 2017 – 130pm to 5pm
  • Howard Springs Shopping Centre – Wednesday 28 June 2017– 130pm to 5pm
  • Palmerston Shopping Centre – Thursday 29 June 2017– 130pm to 5pm

An Industry Forum will be held with the Chamber of Commerce NT and Palmerston Regional Business Association –

  • Palmerston Recreational Centre – Thursday 3 August 2017 – 6:30pm to 8pm

The Northern Territory Government will take the views of all stakeholders into account when finalising the guidelines in October this year.

When the new regulations are introduced, a 6-month moratorium will be put in place to allow time for stakeholders to make necessary changes.

The community is encouraged to go online and take the survey at via the management of activities in road reserves project page. This is also where you will find the Activities in Road Reserves Consultation and Guidelines documents.

For more information, please contact or call 1300 011 151.

Have your say on road reserves