Borroloola’s Town Camps development over 80% complete
31 of 38 homes programmed for the Borroloola Town Camps development have been completed, with the remaining seven underway.
These works form part of the Northern Territory Government’s $1.1 billion remote housing investment program: Our Community. Our Future. Our Homes.
The remaining seven homes are being delivered by Aboriginal Business Enterprise Rusca Developments and DCT Australia, with a combined value of $3.9 million.
Earlier this year an ablution block was built and transferred to the community as part of further works packages for Borroloola’s Mara Town Camp. The $424,000 works were undertaken by Aboriginal Business Enterprise Binjari Aboriginal Corporation.
Binjari Aboriginal Corporation have been busy in Borroloola alongside local Borroloola contractor Cairns Industries, with a further 49 homes in the community having been upgraded across Garawa 1 and 2, Yanyula and Mara.
A subdivision is nearing completion in Garawa 2 Town Camp providing 17 residential lots for future housing.
The Our Community. Our Future. Our Homes. housing investment focuses on:
- reducing overcrowding and improving living conditions
- local decision making and engagement with communities
- developing Aboriginal Business Enterprises
- sustainable local employment
- economic development.
Contractors include five Northern Territory businesses, including:
- Aboriginal Business Enterprises Binjari Aboriginal Corporation and Rusca Developments Pty Ltd
- Local Borroloola construction company Cairns Industries, and
- Locally owned and operated Murray River North Pty Ltd and DCT Australia.
In Borroloola Town Camp:
- 81% of programmed homes complete
- remaining 7 homes underway
- works completed by NT businesses
- 49 additional homes have received upgrades
- 8 of 10 Government Employee Homes completed
- New ablution block installed
- 17 lot residential subdivision under construction