Fund claims progressed for homes in Palmerston


The Northern Territory (NT) Government has provided advice to property owners following the results of an engineering assessment report into select properties in Palmerston.

The report found that while there is no immediate safety risk, the structural building system used in some of the homes has been determined to be non-compliant with the requirements of the Building Code of Australia in force at the time of construction, while also being structurally inadequate in its design to meet the needs of the Territory.

The NT Government has been working with the impacted homeowners following reports of defects to the homes, which included:

  • movement in flooring
  • cracked and loose tiles
  • poor drainage on balconies.

The majority of the properties are covered under either the Home Building Certification Fund or the Residential Building Cover Scheme, with all homeowners being provided advice.

This includes:

  • Ten properties have claims with the Home Building Certification Fund, under the care of the Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics, as these properties were built prior to 31 December 2012.
  • Five properties have applications for the Residential Building Cover Scheme, through the Commissioner for Residential Building Disputes in the Department of Attorney General and Justice, as these were built after 1 January 2013.
  • Home owners of a further three properties were covered by the Residential Building Cover Scheme but the cover has since lapsed, however these homeowners are being provided advice by the NT Government.

There is no immediate threat to safety, and the NT Government continues to work with all homeowners to make sure they are aware of the potential structural issues associated with their properties. Resolution options are also being provided to the owners.

If property owners are concerned about their property, property owners can:

  • access their building records by contacting Building Advisory Services
  • or alternatively, they may wish to get independent structural engineering advice from a registered building practitioner on the condition of their home.

The builder of the 18 homes is no longer a registered builder in the NT.

For more information, contact the Building Advisory Service of the Department of Infrastructure, Planning and Logistics on 8999 8979 or at

To learn more about the Home Building Certification Fund, go to the NT Government website.

To learn more about recently announced priority Building Reforms, go to the NTG Newsroom.

To learn more about Consumer Affairs though the Department of Attorney General and Justice, go to the Consumer Affairs website.

Trades at work

Share this page:

URL copied!