Northern Territory Land Information Systems (NTLIS)
Many of the objectives outlined in the strategic directions for the Northern Territory Land Information Systems (NTLIS) are close to being achieved.
Looking forward to the next five years and the continued evolution of available data capture, technology and industry options, a revised statement of strategic direction is under development.
The Northern Territory has the spatial information necessary to support planning, sustainable economic development and the social and environmental interests of all sections of the community.
- Define the spatial information required to meet the priority interests of government, industry and community groups.
- Develop a Northern Territory spatial data infrastructure (NTSDI) to create and manage essential spatial information resources.
- Agencies that are custodians of Corporate spatial data implement the NTLIS Architectures and actively contribute to the NTSDI.
Corporate spatial information and its products are available on-line to anyone who needs to access and use them.
- Develop a spatial data "clearinghouse" or secure access channel, through which anyone can find, view, licence and obtain NT Government spatial data for legitimate uses.
- Resolve issues that may inhibit access to and use of spatial data, including pricing, charging, copyright, intellectual property and liability.
Corporate spatial information and its products are used by government, industry and the community to make informed decisions related to economic and social development.
- Increase the level of awareness in government, industry and the community of the value of spatial information and its importance in decision making.
- Develop and implement decision support products related to key government and community issues.
The Northern Territory has a strong and innovative spatial information industry able to deliver a comprehensive range of products and services to government, industry and the general community.
- Establish partnership relationships with NT industry designed to support development of innovative, leading edge spatial applications with commercial potential.
- Support industry through outsourcing, wherever possible, of data capture, spatial application services, data brokering and value-adding.
Last updated: 10 November 2019