Stuart Highway Duplication
Works to upgrade the Stuart Highway north of Alice Springs from Motor Vehicle Registry to Herbert Heritage Drive intersection is anticipated to commence during December 2018.
This project is funded by the Australian Government under the Road Safety and Fatigue Management Initiatives. The upgrades will increase capacity, improve flood immunity and maintain a safe and efficient transport corridor.
This upgrade includes construction of:
- Two travel lanes either direction with a central median (2-lane dual carriageway)
- Dedicated turning lanes at various intersections to improve separation between turning and straight moving traffic;
- Upgrades to existing intersections (no traffic lights);
- Off-road cycle and pedestrian path;
- Upgrades to existing street lighting to improve safety;
- Kerbing and guttering, and an underground storm water drainage system in a number of locations;
- Construction of dedicated parking bays;
- Landscaping using native arid plants;
- Improved access to the information bay.
Construction will be undertaken between 6:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Saturday. Within these hours there will be restrictions to contractor activities during peak traffic times to ensure that the impacts to road users are minimised, however there will be some disruptions to traffic with lane closures and temporary speed restrictions. Please adhere to any traffic management in place
Works are expected to be completed by Mid-2019.
Last updated: 13 December 2018