Planning for a Vibrant Future
Planning for a Vibrant Future sets out a strategic vision for the Northern Territory that provides for individual centres to develop a sense of identity and a platform for coordinated and purposeful Government investment.
Planning for a Vibrant Future focusses on key growth areas including:
- Darwin, Australia’s Northern Capital
- Palmerston, The Family City
- Darwin’s Rural Areas, Unique Rural Lifestyle
- Weddell, A New Tropical City
- Cox Peninsula, Saltwater Living
- Katherine, A Logistics and Agribusiness Hub
- Tennant Creek, A Mining Services Centre
- Alice Springs, Australia’s Inland Capital
- Nhulunbuy, Arnhem’s Peninsula Paradise
- Regional and Remote, Our Cultural Landscape
Planning for a Vibrant Future considers all elements from population growth, economic development, infrastructure, community character and culture. It supports the Government’s Economic Development Framework and Infrastructure Strategy, and aligns with the Strategic Planning work undertaken by the Northern Territory Planning Commission across our regions.
Public consultation to develop Planning for a Vibrant Future occurred between October 2017 and February 2018. Pop up stalls and forums encouraged participants to provide feedback on ideas presented within the discussion paper, as well as allowing the community to share in their vision for a vibrant future for the Northern Territory.
During consultation there were:
- 112 online surveys completed
- 22 written submissions received
- 63 people attended the community forums
The three main themes that emerged across the Territory were the need to:
- develop green spaces
- address anti-social behaviour
- encourage the arts and community events
Read more about the outcomes of consultation in the Planning for a Vibrant Future Community Engagement Report .
Last updated: 29 November 2019